If you are thinking about living outside the United States when you start collecting your Social Security check, you should know that it is possible. In most countries around the world, you will be able to continue receiving your check without any problems. Therefore, we are not required to stay in the United States when we start collecting Social Security.
However, this is always completely optional, of course. Still, if you want to live outside the country and you are thinking that you don’t know where, here we are going to show you 5 different countries that you might like to live in without the need for extra income. Just an average Social Security check is enough to pay your monthly expenses.
Remember that in case you don’t have a big Social Security check you can always keep working or try to have an extra source of income. In that case, make sure you are paying your taxes properly so you don’t get in trouble with the IRS or the foreign country.
Countries to live in with only your Social Security check
In this list of countries you will find 5 different countries to live in with just a Social Security check. Each one of them has good things to do to enjoy the golden years in the best way possible.
- Mexico. This country is famous for its paradisiacal places. Living with just a Social Security cheque is possible, although not in all cities. The average benefit is more than enough to enjoy these charming places. In case you want to live here, remember that the official language is Spanish, although many of its citizens speak English.
- Portugal. Despite being much farther from the United States than Mexico, Portugal is also a charming place to spend our retirement. The standard of living is not very high in general, so an average Social Security check should be more than enough. The official language is Portuguese and the currency is the Euro, things to keep in mind.
- Ecuador. With an average expenditure of $18,000 per year for a couple, it is one of the most affordable charming places in the world. If you want to live here, remember that the official language is Spanish, but the positive side is that the official currency is the US dollar.
- France. France’s lifestyle is higher than the rest of the countries on the list, but it is still a good place to spend your retirement. The only negative part is that if we don’t speak French we could have problems. Also, the official currency is the Euro, so we have to change our dollars.
- Uruguay. If we do not want to leave the American continent. Uruguay is a fantastic option to live with a Social Security check. With Spanish as the official language, Uruguay has the Uruguayan peso as its currency. U.S. dollars have a lot of value in this country, so it can be an advantage to spend your retirement here.
The final decision is up to the individual retiree, but these 5 countries are great options for spending the golden years with our Social Security check.