United States retirees with a Social Security benefit should pay attention to the December 2023 schedule. This schedule is somewhat irregular, so those who meet several requirements may get an extra payment.
Some of these retirees may even get two different checks before the end of 2023, which would be good news. The amounts of these two checks will be different in each case, but what is certain is that one check can have a maximum of $4,555 and the other $943.
And it is that with the irregularity of the December calendar we find that the Social Security Administration will send an extra Supplemental Security Income check at the end of the month with the 2024 COLA already added, making the payment carry an extra 3.2% of money over the Supplemental Security Income from early December.
WHEN WILL RETIREES GET THE TWO SOCIAL SECURITY PAYMENTS?
While it is true that these retirees can get up to two new payments before the end of December 2023, it is also true that they have already been able to get one of the Social Security checks.
In order to understand this, it is best to look at the full schedule. Just by checking the requirements for each of the checks and each of the mailing dates we can find out how many checks we will get in December.
The maximum number of checks to receive is three, but it is also possible to receive only one. It all depends on whether you have Supplemental Security Income or not. Let’s take a look at the entire December Social Security benefits calendar:
- December 1st. December Supplemental Security Income payment.
- December 1st. Pre-1997 retirees get their payments on this day.
- December 13th. Post-1997 retirees with birthdays between the 1st and 10th get this payment.
- December 20th. Any post-1997 Social Security beneficiaries with birthdays between the 11th and 20th are paid on this day.
- December 27th. Beneficiaries with a post-1997 benefit and a birthday between the 21st and 31st collect their retirement benefit.
- December 29th. Extra Supplemental Security Income payment for retirees and non-retirees who have this benefit accepted. This check is actually from the January 2024 calendar.
On these days the Administration sends out the payments, but not all Americans will be able to collect them on the same date. In order to get the money immediately, retirees must activate Direct Deposit.
Those Americans who do not activate this collection method will have to wait about three days to have their Social Security money available. Therefore, it is advisable to activate it to avoid any delays.