The United States is full of places that are perfect for a good retirement. If you’re thinking about applying for Social Security, it’s very likely that you have a change of address in mind. It is very common in people applying for the subsidy, regardless of retirement age. In these cases, it is really important to look very well at every detail, since the city we are going to move to will be our home for a long time.
Therefore, pay attention to the West Coast cities you will see below, as one of them can become your city of residence. In order for you to know perfectly whether you want to live in these cities and can afford it, let’s look at several parameters. Let’s move on to the list of these West Coast cities to live with Social Security in our retirement.
West Coast Cities to Live on Social Security
We’ll look at 3 key parameters to decide if it’s really a good place to live or not. Livability is something that is really necessary. Without a good livability score, it doesn’t matter how cheap the city is. In addition to this, we will also see the price of renting a single room and, in addition, the general price with all the usual expenses. Let’s look at these five cities, sorted in ascending order:
- Winter Garden, Florida. Although it is not the cheapest city on this list, its livability of 85 makes it a good choice. Mind you, you’ll need a Social Security benefit of at least $1,965.54 per month, which is the average overall expense in this city. Renting a room costs about $1,115.83 per month.
- Panama City Beach, Florida. Another Florida city takes 4th place in this particular ranking. Its 76-point livability is ideal because it has a perfect beach to spend free time. The rent for a room per month is $1,106.71 on average. In terms of overall spending for the month it is usually $1,946.91.
- Concord, North Carolina. For the 3rd spot on this list we go all the way to North Carolina. Living on Social Security of around $2,000 per month is easy in Concord because monthly spending is $1,881.47 on average. Livability is also very high, like the other two cities above, reaching 83. The median rent is $1,045.57.
- Mauldin, South Carolina. From the North we go to the South to discover Mauldin. This city has a livability of 88 and requires monthly expenses of $1,789.89. If we talk about a single room, the price is $944.71 per month. It is a good place to live and has 19% of its population over 65 years old.
- Roanoke, Virginia. We finish this list in the Commonwealth of Virginia. To live on Social Security alone, we can rent a single room here. The average price is $919.71. Its livability of 75 makes it perfect for retirees, as well as its total monthly expenses of $1,783.32.
Any of these cities is perfect for spending Social Security retirement days. The information provided by GoBankingRates makes it possible for us to know perfectly which are the 5 best West Coast cities to live in retirement.