Most advisors in the United States recommend not relying solely on the Social Security check during retirement. However, it is true that a large portion of Americans do. This is because they have a large enough check to be able to pay all of their monthly expenses.
However, looking for other sources of income can be a great option, since we will be able to live with more peace of mind. Still, if we want to live in a place where we don’t need more than our Social Security check to be able to live we can take a look at this list of 5 places where we can live on just our retirement check.
With the average check of $1,827 a month we will be able to pay for all of our expenses in these cities. And not only that, but we won’t need money other than our Social Security check to buy the odd treat. Would you like to live in one of these cities?
Top 5 cities to live in with an average Social Security check
Before we look at the 5 cities to live in with an average Social Security check, there is something very important to keep in mind. The current average check in 2023 is $1,827, as we’ve already discussed, but that doesn’t mean it’s the maximum. If we have a higher check, we will also be able to live in these cities without any problem.
These are the 5 U.S. cities to live in with only your Social Security check as a source of income, according to GoBankingRates:
- College Station, Texas. The livability of this place reaches 79 points. The median rent is only $846, so we can pay for it with our Social Security check with no problem.
- Lake Charles, Louisiana. There is no doubt that Lake Charles is a great place to spend retirement. Its median rent price of $693 and its 70-point livability make this city a perfect place.
- San Angelo, Texas. The second place in Texas on this list, and no wonder. In San Angelo we will be able to live paying an average of $848 per month for rent. The 78-point livability is perfect for it.
- Des Moines, Iowa. In Iowa we come across the city of Des Moines. The median rent in this city is $776. The average Social Security pension perfectly covers this expense. Livability is 75 points.
- Abilene, Texas. The best city on the list is in Texas, which means that we have up to 3 cities from the same state in this top 5. With a livability of 75 points its median price of $763 is ideal for living during retirement years.
These cities are ideal to live in during our retirement years. Not only because we can pay our monthly expenses with our Social Security check, but also because they have an ideal climate for retirees.