Payments from the Social Security Administration arrive each month to eligible beneficiaries in the United States. If you are eligible, you will be able to enjoy a new payment each month up to $4,555 in 2023.
However, sometimes we can get more than one Social Security check in the same month. It is even possible to collect three different payments if we meet the established conditions. So we could collect up to three times, which would give us a little extra money for our monthly expenses.
In the month of December there is an irregularity in the calendar that makes us cash two Supplemental Security Income checks, so if we have SSI and a Social Security payment we could get three different checks. Considering that the maximum SSI check in 2023 is $914 and the average Social Security check is about $1,888 we will find ourselves with a nice figure in our checking account before the end of the year.
HOW TO GET A DOUBLE SOCIAL SECURITY PAYMENT IN DECEMBER 2023?
In order to get a double Social Security payment in December 2023, there are just a few requirements that must be met. These requirements must have been met before, so if you do not meet them by now, it is very difficult to receive this double check in December.
These are the requirements to get two Social Security checks in December 2023:
- Have Supplemental Security Income accepted. This check is only for seniors over 65 or citizens with a disability who have a low income.
- Be a retiree with an accepted Social Security benefit. The type of retirement does not matter. The group of retirees to which we belong will determine the day of payment.
With these two requirements we will have access to two Social Security checks in December 2023. But if we want to get three checks in this last month of the year we have to meet one more requirement. This is the requirement:
- Activate Direct Deposit as a collection method: through this collection method we will not have to wait a single day to get any Social Security check.
Because of this we will be able to get two SSI checks in the month of December. This is because the January payment of this benefit will be sent in advance, so by activating this collection method we will not have to wait until January to get a check.
COMPLETE SSA PAYMENT SCHEDULE FOR DECEMBER 2023
The day on which the retirement benefit is paid will depend entirely on the group to which each retiree belongs. In total there are four different groups and each retiree can only belong to one of these groups. It is not possible to get more than one Social Security retirement check per month.
The schedule for December SSA payments is as follows:
- December 1st. Supplemental Security Income sent to all beneficiaries. Also, pre-1997 Social Security retirees are paid on this day.
- December 13th. Payments for post-1997 retirees with birthdays between the 1st and 10th of any month.
- December 20th. Payments for post-1997 retirees with birthdays between the 11th and 20th of any month.
- December 27th. Payments for post-1997 retirees with birthdays between the 21st and 31st of any month.
- December 29th. Supplemental Security Income recipients can get the January 2024 payment on this day. This payment will have the 2024 COLA added to it.
With Direct Deposit we will collect the payment on the same day it is sent. If we do not have this method active it may take up to 3 days for the money to appear in our checking account.