Choosing a place to spend our retirement years is very difficult. This is even more difficult if we live in the United States, as there are so many different climates and locations that we can sometimes have trouble choosing one over another. The many different nooks and crannies make choosing where to spend our monthly Social Security check a very complicated task.
However, it is also important to know one’s salary limits. With an average Social Security check we can’t live anywhere in the United States, but we can live in a large part of the United States. Depending on what our cheque is, we can have a wider choice.
In this case, we are talking about Florida as a destination for retirees who have an average Social Security check. This average amount is approximately $1,825 per month. With this monthly money, a retiree couple could live quietly and paying all their bills in one of the following places.
5 Florida places to live on a Social Security check
This list will interest both retirees who are thinking of moving to another state and all citizens who have not yet applied for a Social Security check. Let’s take a look at the 5 most affordable Florida places to live in retirement, according to GoBankingRates:
- Lakeland. This Florida city has average monthly expenses of just shy of $3,000. So considering that living on Social Security alone is not possible, we can always look for an extra source of income if we want to live in Lakeland. It’s not the cheapest place on this list to live, but it’s worth it if we can afford it.
- Brooksville. The average expense in this city is $2,664. Something really possible to pay for with a high retirement check, as long as we look for another source of income and have savings.
- Altamonte Springs. Although the monthly expense is $3,011 per month, this place is well worth it. In Altamonte Springs we can find all kinds of lovely places for anyone collecting a Social Security check.
- South Daytona. In South Daytona we can enjoy our retirement for just $2,851 per month. This city hides wonderful corners to enjoy in our day to day life.
- Crystal River. Undoubtedly, the budget needed in Crystal River is the lowest of all those on the list. Anyone who wants to live here must have an income of about $2,490 per month. The average Social Security check might not be enough, but with some extra income and savings we will have enough.
Remember, living on Social Security check alone is not recommended in most United States. So, these places are lovely, but we will need to increase the retirement check if we want to live in them.