The immune system is essential to avoid infections, bacteria and viruses that affect our health. This is the main defense of the human body, which through a well-organized reaction allows the organism to attack and destroy the infections that invade our body. For this reason, experts from Harvard University affirm the importance of having this system well nourished in times of Covid-19.
Food is one of the main assets for the immune system to function perfectly. Depending on what foods we eat, we can obtain better vitamin and mineral properties that help us to have more energy and better blood circulation. This benefits our body by strengthening the immune system and avoiding different infections.
As it is logical, the body works better the better nourished it is, however, we must not forget the external factors with which we must finish if we want to be more protected. For this reason, Harvard experts have developed a series of guidelines to avoid being exposed to more serious health problems:
- Do not smoke.
- Follow a diet rich in fruits and vegetables.
- Exercise daily.
- Be at a healthy weight.
- Do not consume alcohol.
- Get enough rest.
- Take measures to avoid infections.
- Minimize stress.
The importance of physical exercise according to Harvard University
Exercise is one of the main pillars of a good immune system. Daily exercise can improve cardiovascular health, lower blood pressure, help control body weight and protect the body against disease.
As Harvard University experts explain, «Like a healthy diet, exercise can contribute to overall good health and, therefore, to a healthy immune system. It can contribute even more directly by promoting good circulation, which allows the cells and substances of the immune system to move freely through the body and do their work efficiently».
For its part, the WHO agrees with Harvard University on the consumption of healthy food and recommends a minimum daily intake of 400 g of fruits and vegetables (excluding potatoes and other starchy tubers) to prevent chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes or obesity, as well as to prevent and mitigate micronutrient deficiencies.
5 foods to strengthen the immune system
Given the importance of being as protected as possible, we are going to list some of the best foods to keep the immune system in optimal conditions, some of them scientifically proven by Harvard University itself.
- Mollusks: Experts from Harvard University affirm that the absence of zinc causes the immune system to function as it should. This is why it is important to include this type of seafood.
- Cereals: Harvard University affirms the ability of lymphocytes to mature and transform into various types of T and B cells. These are found in foods such as oats, wheat and rice.
- Citrus fruits: An article published by the U.S. National Library of Medicine states that the colds of people who regularly consume vitamin C can last less time and, in addition, their symptoms are usually less severe. Therefore, including citrus fruits will help us to have a more protected immune system.
- Yogurt: Products with probiotics such as yogurts are beneficial for protecting intestinal health. These live microorganisms are able to regulate the immune response, according to the United Nations.